Sunday, September 14, 2008

Words I haven't written

Hello to everyone out there in blogland. Have you missed me? I've been thinking about things I want to write (thoughts on 9/11 and other thoughts on turning thirty, to name a few) but I'm being held in the tight grip of a cold that refuses to let go. Argh. The good news is I haven't had a migraine since last weekend! I can't remember the last time I went a week without a migraine...isn't modern medicine wonderful?

Since I can't straighten out my brain enough to write anything that makes sense, let me to direct you to something that touched me this past week. Mary Alice at From the Frontlines wrote a heart-wrenching post on her experience of 9/11 as part of a military family. The Sergeant and I weren't a military family on 9/11 - we weren't even married yet, although the wedding was planned - but Mary Alice's story makes me wonder what memories my son will have of his daddy the soldier..

5 comments:

  1. Sometimes there are just no words. And the post you linked was well-written, and definitely heart-wrenching. I think all-too-often the "rest of us" don't even notice the military just as she didn't notice the bag in the corner anymore. We take the military for granted. Many complain about them, but the bottom line is military lives are different than our own. My husband was in the military for 10 years after college. I met him after that part of his life. So though he has lived it and knows it, I do not. Thank you for the link. And I hope that you don't feel like you HAVE to say something just because so many others are. That was one reason I did not post. But since you are part of a military family, I believe you have more to say than a lot of the rest of us should you choose to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you feel better. Thanks for the link, it was truly heart wrenching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of New England has that cold. Feel better Dragonfly. we miss you

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed "Frontlines" post, too, and meant to link to it on my blog but then didn't get around to posting anything that day.
    Hope your cold is better so soon. and those mardi gras beads are awesome! My kids still like to play with them...

    ReplyDelete